Based in Coimbra, Portugal
July 26, 2012
Press / Business contact:
Mimicry Games Lda
Incubadora do Instituto Pedro Nunes, Rua Pedro Nunes
+351 939 646 503
Mimicry is an independent game, VR and software development studio composed of Thomas Papa, Daniela Fontes, Artur Gomes, Pedro Oliveira and José Vieira. Mimicry is based in Coimbra, Portugal and creates virtual reality experiences and games. In addition, Mimicry also offers its expertise in the form of development services and consulting for VR.
HistoryEarly history (Foundation)
Mimicry is an independent game, VR and software development studio. The company was founded in 2012, by Thomas J. Papa. It started out by creating artistically motivated videogames under a banner that values beauty, self-expression and thought-provoking experiences, while staying alert to the way technology allows for new forms of interaction. Mimicry's first title, the short interactive drama "Leaving", was released on iPad in 2013.After that (VR Renaissance)
After its first commercial release, Mimicry developed multiple smaller projects and expanded into creating virtual reality experiences with a broader reach. Notable titles from this period include the VR project "Highland" (Winner of Exile Game Jam, 2013) and the interactive haiku "Ueno" (2014). "Highland" was released as a free download. In 2015, during the Oculus' Mobile VR Jam, Mimicry started working on the science fiction, multiplayer VR game "Maker From Below" (working title). In the summer of 2017, another VR project was started, the competitive sushi-eating game "Ganbatte". Even though the company is mostly known for its independent work, it also does commission work for clients, ranging from individuals to organizations and businesses.
Mimicry - The fundamental mechanism for understanding the world is play YouTube
Ganbatte Steam Early Access Launch Trailer YouTube
Highland for Oculus Rift DK1 Vimeo
Leaving Official Trailer Vimeo
There are far more images available for Mimicry, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "European Game Showcase @ GDC 2018 Selection, with VR game "Ganbatte"." - European Game Showcase, USA, March, 2018
- "Indie Dome Showcase @ Lisboa Games Week 2017 Most Fun Game, with VR game "Ganbatte"." - Indie Dome, Portugal, November, 2017
- "Prémios PlayStation® Talents 2017 Finalist, with VR game "Ganbatte"." - Sony Computer Entertainment Iberia, Portugal, October, 2017
- "Winner of Exile Game Jam, with the VR game "Highland"." - Vallekilde Højskole, Denmark, Spring, 2013
- "Chow Down On Multiplayer Sushi Eating Title Ganbatte Soon. Yes that's right, competitive sushi eating."
- Peter Graham, VR Focus
- "Tired of shooting galleries? Ready for something different? Check out Ganbatte by Mimicry."
- Ryan Winterhalter, UploadVR
- "If in the end it doesn’t feel like you’ve played a game, that’s the point."
- Rob Walker, Yahoo News
- "Leaving is a video game set in an airport and driven by ambiguity"
- Kevin Holmes, the creators project
Team & Repeating Collaborator
Creative Director, Founder
José Carlos Vieira
Software Engineering Intern